|It has been suggested that this article be split into multiple articles. (Discuss)|
- This reptilian race well-suited for the treacherous swamps of their homeland has developed natural immunities to disease and poisons. They can breathe underwater and are very good at picking locks.
Background Return to the directory »
Argonians like Khajiit were oppressed and enslaved by rich families and primary industries in Morrowind the last province to abolish slavery. Though slavery is now illegal in Morrowind House Dres still practices it. This was the main reason for the Argonian invasion of Morrowind following the Oblivion Crisis which led to the near total destruction of Morrowind. Argonians are also frequently the victims of racial prejudices as are all of the beast-races.
Characteristics Return to the directory »
Little is known and less is understood about the amphibious denizens of the Black Marsh. Years of defending their borders have made the Argonians experts in guerrilla warfare. Their amphibious physique allows them to adapt equally well to both water and land. They are well-suited for the treacherous swamps of their homeland and have developed immunities to many diseases and poisons found in their natural environment. Their seemingly ex
Despite both being seen as beast-races and a sharing a history of oppression from the men or mer races there is strong racial dislike between both the Argonians and the Khajiit. Members of both races commonly see the other as vastly inferior to themselves. If it were not for the lands of the Imperial held Niben Bay that separates the lands of Black Marsh and Elsweyr it is very likely that both races would have gone to war with each other long ago.
Biology Return to the directory »
Argonians have gills on their necks and are covered in scales. This gives Argonians the unique ability to breathe underwater. This has proven to be an advantage in combat with other races especially in the swamps of Black Marsh. Argonians are trained in guerrilla warfare to drown their enemies by dragging them to the water and holding them under.
Argonians have very sharp reptilian teeth lining their mouths which if they are unarmed can be used as an effective weapon. If an Argonian becomes a vampire it appears to age tenfold and it's eyes are light red and nearly blank though their pupils are still visible. Argonians posess tails the only race besides the Khajiit to do so. Their tails help when they swim they use their tails to propel themselves through the water as they glide underwater like a fish (this does not however equate into an actual speed bonus in-game when swimming as an Argonian the Speed attribute still determines that). An Argonians' tail is also used for balance giving them an extra advantage in certain situations. This is one of the many reasons Argonians are effective as thieves and assassins.
Argonians have a wide variety of cranial features such as fins ridges spines spikes or horns.
Attribute Modifiers Return to the directory »
Skill Bonuses (Oblivion) Return to the directory »
Special Abilities Return to the directory »
- Resist Disease - 50%
- Resist Poison - 100%
- Water Breathing - Can breathe underwater
- Histskin - Health regenerates 10x quicker for 60 seconds
Argonians are best suited to the role of a close quarters Assassin. This is because Illusion Alchemy Mysticism and Security are all valued skills for an Assassin. Many pla
These benefits apply to both vampire and non-vampire argonians but to fully negate the attribute penalties associated with male Argonians you will need to contract Porphyric Hemophilia and eventually become a vampire (this lessens the number of items required to achieve the same results as a non-vampire).
- The only race that is fully immune to poison naturally.
- Monetary advantages when selling off items such as Fin Gleam and Jewel of the Rumare due to a natural water-breathing trait.
- Alternative helms include Cowl of the Druid or Veil of the Seer (combined with vampirism this negates the -10 Willpower suffered by male Argonians) as both options have longer ranges for their Detect Life enchantments than Fin Gleam (and reduce sunlight ***age if a vampire).
- Alternative rings include Ring of Nighteye (common in the loot table) and Ring of the Iron Fist.
- The pla
yer can wear two Rings of the Iron Fist (+50 Hand to Hand +66% Reflect Damage) by creating Potions of Nighteye and following the farming tips in that items wiki article.
- The highest number of natural immunities (4) as a vampire which adds a convenience factor to playing an Argonian vampire.
- Speechcraft like security is controlled by a mini-game and depending on the pla
yers skill with said mini-game you may not need any points invested at all. This makes the perceived weakness of -10 Personality unnoticeable for some pla yers due to Mercantile Tricks and the fact Illusion is only widely used to avoid heavy combat making the battle importance of the school relatively low (most combat styles provide paralysis effects already).
- Bows are almost entirely useless when travelling in underwater locations you'll have an easier time in those areas as a melee assassin with high Hand to Hand (can easily be boosted to 85+ at level 1-2 due to certain acquirable items racial bonuses vampirism and taking it as a major skill).
- -10 Endurance can be negated by drinking fortify health or upmarket potions (specifically the one which fortifies health/magicka and gives chameleon and the one which restores health fortifies health boosts armor and negates vampiric weakness to fire in a single potion) granted you've got access to the enchanted chest due to the rare nature of ironwood nuts painted troll fat and other highly useful alchemy ingredients.
Argonians have several drawbacks. Bow and arrow attacks are much more useful for an Assassin than a close quarters sneak attack; however this is completely unimportant if you choose not to play as an Assassin or Assassin-like class. Because of their reptilian appearance Argonians are disliked by men and mer and therefore have a harder time persuading others though as mentioned this will not matter if you understand the game mechanics. Their health will always be slightly lower than other races due to their decreased endurance.
Argonian Names Return to the directory »
A possible way of looking at the naming may or may not be similar to indians such as Sitting Bull compared to some Argonian names. (Theory)
- Example Male Names
- Haj-Ei (Hist for 'Hides His Eyes')
- Big Head
- Grey Throat
- Example female names
Gallery Return to the directory »
References Return to the directory »
|Humans||Breton • Imperial • Kothringi • Nede • Nord • Orma • Redguard|
|Mer||Aldmer • Altmer • Ayleid • Bosmer • Chimer • Dunmer • Dwemer • Falmer • Left-Handed Elves • Maormer • Orsimer|
|Beast||Argonian • Imga • Khajiit • Lilmothiit • Sload|
|Akaviri||Dragons • Ka Po' Tun • Kamal • Tang Mo • Tsaesci|
|Et'ada||Aedra • Daedra|